It is Polish Pickup time again! August's theme is At the Carnival and of course I had to go in the spooky direction. It was almost a disaster, but I love how it all turned out!
My offering this month is a pair of simple, classic drop earrings that happen to glow in the dark! I layered different bead accessories to create a small, wearable homage to that staple of carnivals and renfaires: the Fortune Teller. Tarot cards, spirit boards, and tea leaves lead me to the most recognizable tabletop artifacts: the Crystal Ball. I started scowering the internet for inspiration, and I saw a lot of really beautiful pieces but they were all missing that extra oomph. Then my daughter asked for glow-in-the-dark stars for her room and it clicked: I needed glow in the dark beads! They are the perfect addition that make these truly unique.
I love how these beads look like they are filled with fog from beyond the veil. I originally tried to find some that were more clear (and I even tried shattering marbles with no joy) but once these were assembled I knew this was just right.
- Each earring is suprisingly lightweight at right around 5g. I hate heavy earrings, and I don't want to make things I won't wear.
- Top to bottom, they measure about 5cm. Dangly, but not shoulder-dusters.
- Stainless steel french hooks. Good for sensitive ears.
- Glowing beads measure 12mm across and are made from lightweight acrylic instead of my usual glass or stone. Comfort is king this month.
- There will be 35 available from the Polish Pickup. (and 5 for the UK shop) I think there will be plenty for everyone.
- The glow is very sensitive. I use a UV flashlight to charge them for photos (first GITD photo is with my dslr at a 1/30 shutter speed and the second is with a phone) but they glow pretty strongly just from being in regular light for a few moments.
and stay tuned for info on a larger necklace version of these earrings coming to the shop for September!